Non NHS Examinations and Certificates

non_nhs_services4Medical examinations and certificates for special purposes e.g. driving medicals, pre-employment, insurance medicals etc, can be arranged by appointment. These are not part of your doctor’s NHS duties and therefore a fee recommended by the BMA may be payable.

Medical Certificates

For absence from work through sickness, self-certification is currently valid for the first week. The sick certificate (form SC1) is available from your employer or the Post Office. We do not issue a Doctor’s Certificate for the first seven days of sickness. If a private certificate to cover work is required a fee is charged.

After the first week, certificates are obtained as part of a consultation with your doctor. If you are under the care of a hospital doctor you may ask them to complete a medical certificate for you for the length of your anticipated incapacity. When you have been referred back to your GP future certificates can be obtained from them.

Charges for letter etc

Private fees are charged at a rate that covers doctor and administration time for services such as the following

  • Pre-employment medicals
  • Private medicals (LGV Taxi, etc)
  • Insurance claims
  • Private certificates
  • Holiday vaccinations
  • Fitness to drive medicals
  • Private Health insurance forms (BUPA, PPP, etc)
Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website